FREE ACCESS for registered academics
What the course includes:
- Access to the full course consisting of video lectures, exercises using Sysdea models and worksheets
- PDF of slides to create your own set of slide handouts
- Full size slides with builds to match the online course that you can use in class (PDF format)
- PDF copy of "Strategy Dynamics Essentials"
- Sysdea exercises model links to share with your students - see example below.
Other Course Resources
The course makes extensive use of Sysdea: an online strategy planning software used for exercises and worksheets.
As a teacher you may be eligible for a free "Standard" account on Sysdea for use in teaching only. Sign-up for
a free 30 day Trial on www.sysdea.com
then contact us for an upgrade -
please use your formal University email
account for this.
Student access for Sysdea
Your students can use Sysdea in the following ways:
A typical Sysdea exercise....
- Experimenting with shared models - no account is necessary. Functionality available to students
depends on whether the share link is for a Read-Only or Read-Write Model
- Read-Only - students can view a model but not make any changes to it.
They can undertake experiments with a model using variables that have been set up as decisions.
The Bass Diffusion Example below is an example.
- Read-Write - in addition to experiments possible with Read Only models students can
see the data and equations behind variables as well as changing the model in any way.
This includes adding new variables. However, with no account there is no option to save.
- Full access on 30 day trial. If your course duration is less than one month our 30 day trial option provides
full functionality including creating, saving and sharing models, and this may well be sufficient for your
needs. At the end of this period the account is frozen unless a subscription is taken out or a token
applied that grants longer access.
- Student class access licence. The academic price for a class at University level is $25 per student
for a semester licence (generally 6 months total with 30 day trial), with additional months at $5/month/student.
This is currently
arranged though our office, contact us for more information.
Sysdea models run in your browser so there is nothing to install, but it does require the latest version of Chrome,
Firefox, Safari or Internet Explorer 10 and above.
This model is about customers adopting a new durable product (such as a consumer electronic device)
or semi-durable product (such as running shoes). Customers are won by marketing AND by word of mouth
... but the win-rate slows down as the potential customer-base is used up. Sales come from purchases by
first-time buyers and from repeat sales to existing consumers.
You can read more about the
Bass Diffusion model here.
- the marketing spend to win new customers
- and, optionally, the percentage buying from word of mouth recommendations, the number of
contacts consumers have and the percentage of cunsumers who re-purchase each month.
Using the model
- The Model opens with default decisions run through to the end as shown by the progress
bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Open the Play controls by selecting the up arrow on the left
- Add a comparison run by clicking on the leftmost button with + icon. This also opens the
To see how the decisions fit into the model click on each in the decisions list - the
view moves so that item is in the center of the screen.
- You can now experiment with changing decsions and running the model to see the impact
of the changes. Note that you can step though in single steps or let it run through to the end.
In this mode it plays through slowly so you can pause and change decisions part way.
In model creation mode Sysdea simulation time is almost instant and is in "always run" mode
so that the impact of your changes are visible instantly,
- What marketing spend is needed - for the first 6 months only, zero thereafter,
to achieve final sales of 10,000 units/month? (Other values unchanged)
- How much marketing is needed for the first 6 months only to reach
the same sales rate by start of month 13 (that is, after 1 year)?
Then, change consumer behaviour values and explore more questions, such as how much
marketing spend is needed to achieve the results above if 7% of consumers by from
recommendations - or 3%?
This exercise is just one of around 40 used on the course. As a participant on the course
you have access to the complete model so you can become comfortable with the way it works.
We also provide links (both "read-only" and "read-write" that you can share with your students
to use as exercises in your own courses.
We reserve the right to check your academic standing and to decline enrolment requests.
We reserve the right to withdraw this offer at any time. Currently enrolled teachers would not be affected.